Thursday, November 1, 2012

Busy Birds

When I learned that birds cache seeds in the fall, I had assumed they deposited the seeds in bark crevices and such. Consequently, it took me a while to realize that this nuthatch was caching its seeds under the bark mulch.


Besides this nuthatch, I spotted a couple of juncos yesterday. I don't even notice the "snow birds" have been absent until they reappear.

I learned a new word the other day (but of course cannot remember it now, even after seeing it in two places) that is a term for an unusual shift of a bird population. For example, you might not see pine siskins at your feeders ordinarily, but a whole flock may appear one winter day because their home turf has become inhospitable.

I'm almost ready for whatever birds come my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment