Monday, September 23, 2013

How does this happen?

To contribute to getting my knitting mojo back, I decided to designate Mondays as Fiber Day. Today was the first Fiber Day, and it didn't go quite as I expected. For one thing, I had trouble giving myself *permission* to just knit or spin. For another, the fiber goddesses seemed to be against me.

For example, I have been struggling with this one pair of socks off and on for *months*. Yesterday I failed to negotiate the heel turn, so one goal for today was to get past that and onto the leg of the sock. There was some tinking and some cursing, but I finally got past the heel. I wanted to switch from the circs to my trusty US1 DPNs, but. they. were. missing. Seriously. Where could they be? The last place I remember knitting outside the home was at the dyeing workshop, so I shot off an email to the Big Red Barn. Alas, no needles. Then I found the package I usually keep them in - empty - which makes me think they must be around here somewhere. I'm sure they will show up right after I purchase some new ones.

That was okay - on to the next goal for today: finishing the edging on the armholes of my SO's vest. Problem number one was the number of stitches to be picked up - my sweater had a lot more than the pattern indicated. I decided that was okay because the pattern had instructed to knit for x number of inches, not x number of rows, so it was natural that the count might be off. I began picking up stitches, only to realize that one front was longer than the other, by 2 or 3 rows. Hmmm. Is that a big deal? Correcting would involve removing the edging that encircles the neckline, fronts, and bottom of the vest, an edging I have already done and redone several times, and undoing the three-needle bindoffs at the shoulders. I decided to forge ahead, but you know what happened: I knit and knit, all the while knowing in the back of my mind that I would eventually rip out today's work and the edging and the three-needle bindoffs, and tink back the one front so that it matches the other. I haven't actually done that yet, but I know I will because otherwise every time I look at that vest, I will see those extra rows mocking me.

To attempt to spin after all that would be pushing my luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment