Monday, October 28, 2013

My new addiction

Take some hand-dyed roving. (This is from the natural dyeing workshop I participated in, dyed with goldenrod - top - and bindweed.)


Add some other fiber (a darker green wool and some angelina - aka tinsel - in this case) and blend using a blending board (a birthday gift to myself.)


This creates rolags - fat sausages of roving with all the colors mixed together.



Spin the fiber from the rolags.


This results in single ply yarn.



Use a ball winder to wind the single ply yarn into a center-pull ball, then back to the spinning wheel to ply the yarn.


Wind the two-ply yarn on a swift to create a skein.


And - tada! - you have yarn.


What is addicting is the blending of the fibers. After taking a workshop in blending fiber, my interest was piqued until I priced drum carders. Even a pair of hand carders seemed expensive for their limited use. The Ashford blending board is more expensive than hand carders but more functional while being less than a drum carder. Plus I think the blending board will allow for more experimentation.

The only problem with the blending board is, time evaporates while in use. Quite the rabbit hole. I have to be careful when I start because it is nearly impossible to stop.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, that DOES look addicting...........No! I didn't see it!!!!!!!!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete